Smoked Salmon: A Delicious Canadian Treat
The process of smoking salmon was perfected by Canada's First Nations peoples as a method of preserving the wild salmon catch for a long winter.
Food safe standards have changed, although Canadians' love of smoked salmon has not. SeaChange smoked salmon is crafted to be a safe and delicious gift from Canada, wherever in the world you may choose to take or send it.
How Our Smoked Salmon Is Made
- Uncooked salmon is lightly salted and surrounded with hardwood smoke for several hours.
- The salmon absorbs the delicate flavour of the smoke. This is called "cold smoking" because the salmon is not cooked during the smoking process.
- After it has been cold smoked, the salmon is heated in a gold foil pouch to destroy any bacteria that may be present.
- Processing in this manner produces the only type of shelf-stable smoked salmon. SeaChange salmon does not need to be refrigerated until it is opened. It can withstand any climate and remain safe to eat.
- After the gold pouch is opened and the smoked salmon has been enjoyed, please refrigerate any leftovers – if there are any – and use within five days.
A Gift Which is Delicious and Healthy
Salmon is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D
Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of polyunsaturated fat necessary for human health. As they cannot be produced by the body they must be obtained through a healthy diet, and fish such as salmon is a great source. These fats can lower bad cholesterol levels (LDL cholesterol), help prevent clotting of blood, reduce the risk of dangerous abnormal heart rhythms, and of strokes in people with known cardiovascular disease.
They can also help lower triglycerides (a type of blood fat linked to heart disease), and lower blood pressure slightly. Omega 3 fatty acids reduce inflammation, may also help to reduce risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and arthritis, and play a crucial role in brain function, as well as normal growth and development.
Salmon is also an excellent source of vitamin D – which may help prevent osteoporosis, lower the risk of developing some cancers, cardiovascular disease, Multiple Sclerosis, and may help protect against type 1 diabetes.